Okay so modern day air fresheners don’t LITERALLY stink, BUT have you ever thought about what chemicals you and your family are ingesting daily by continuing to use these in your homes?? What are all of those aerosol sprays, electric plug-ins, oil diffusers, and even scented candles doing for your health [and your family’s health]?
Let me start by saying it was EXTREMELY hard for me to give up my plug-in addiction. I had them in every room of the house, and they were ALWAYS filled! The amount of money I have spent on plug-ins and other types of air fresheners would probably give my husband a heart attack. [This was my gain plug-in addiction, which turned into a bath and body works plug in addiction, which lead to a scentsy burner addiction]. I know it seems harmless because these products SMELL GOOD, and who doesn’t want their home [or car, classroom, office] to smell GOOD when you walk into it? But I started getting headaches, and the smells were getting stronger and stronger. One day I walked in from work and instead of being hit by the fresh smell of laundry, I was bombarded with another headache.
I started doing my own research and once I realized what chemicals were in the air fresheners I realized, not only am I breathing in these chemicals every.single.day. But so is my family. No wonder I was getting constant headaches!! [frantic mom showed up and began to panic- have i shortened our lives 10 years?? omg will we all get cancer, what have I done???]
**Today if [frantic mom] shows up i just apply some STRESS AWAY or PEACE & CALMING, but this was pre-essential oils [remember i was in the midst of my plug-in addiction when frantic mom showed up!]**
Okay, so let’s talk about these chemicals. I’m not a scientist, this is my own personal research and I am going to explain it very simply and basic. So, I will break it down to 5 of the most harmful chemicals that almost all modern day air fresheners contain:
- Volatile Organic Compounds– [also known as VOCs] these include but are not limited to: ACETONE, ETHANOL, D-LIMONENE, PINENE, and ACETATE. Depending on the amount of exposure and the way your body reacts, VOCs can cause side effects including eye, nose, and throat irritation, nausea, HEADACHES!!! Long term exposure to these chemicals can even damage your liver, kidney, and central nervous system.
- Formaldehyde – Most of us are familiar with formaldehyde, or have at least heard the word used. It as a colorless, poisonous, irritating gas that with long term exposure can have side effects such as, sore throat , cough, scratchy eyes, and nosebleeds.
- Phthalates – Again, most of us know that these are bad having been linked to early puberty, autism, obesity, and birth defects. It is important that you know it will not say [phthalate], it will say [fragrance] or [parfum.]
- 1,4 dichlorobenzene – this is another toxic chemical, its vapors can affect respiratory function and lung capacity.
- Allergens – Air fresheners are also known to contain allergens that can trigger asthma attacks and other allergies.
**There is much more information about these chemicals out there, but not many of us moms have time to sit and do the research [or sit and write about each chemical in detail], so I simplified it. If this isn’t convincing enough for you, i would urge you to continue to research the harmful chemicals that make up these modern day air fresheners and how continued use can be harmful to our health.**
Continue to follow my blog to find out what I replaced my [plug-in addiction] with and how it has benefited my family !